Friday, January 10, 2014

Ceasing To Breathe - An Interview With Still Remains

Imagine an 18 year old suburban kid working a late night shift in a CD store of a mall that barely has 100 people walking through.  The time is right, the lack of customers is noticeable, and the store music is up for grabs.  While sifting through the hundreds of orders that we got for inventory, I see some rather interesting album artwork that titles "Of Love and Lunacy".  Since I was in the mood for some new material and Friday nights were unofficially hard rock/heavy metal nights at the store, I thought 'why the hell not'.  This is what came out of the speakers...



Not a bad start to a Friday night.  I even think at one point I was so bored that I got up on the counter and started head banging to my new found addiction for the night.  The icing on the cake was the little logo in the bottom corner (aka Roadrunner Records).  Having a good standing record (no pun intended) with their roster and the fact that the majority of my likable bands were coming out of Roadrunner, I was hoping that I wasn't going to be immersed in a band that would only do one album and lose their contract.

I did not foresee Still Remains being one of those bands as their blistering tracks such as "The Worst Is Yet To Come", "In Place of Hope", and "I Can Revive Him with My Own Hands" screamed a follow up album (or at least that's what I was hoping for).  I got my wish in 2007 when the group released their sophomore album through Roadrunner Records titled "The Serpent".  A little different than the previous album with some more melody and room to move your hips to the groove.  Songs such as "Stay Captive" and "Dropped From The Cherry Tree" were tunes I could relate to and enjoy.



So the sophomore album was met with mixed reviews, with some critic reviews praising the originality while others cried for something different from an over saturated genre.  However, it all comes down to personal taste.  I thought the fine blend of melody, pop choruses, and hardcore breakdowns/solo resembled something like early stages of A Day To Remember (hint hint, both bands are unsigned and would do great for a tour together).

Despite the two successful albums on Roadrunner, the band announced their hiatus on March 25th, 2008

"Dear Friends, Fans, and Family,

This is a goodbye letter from us to you. We will be seeing most of you again I’m sure but not from on stage. We’ve decided to make this headlining tour our last as Still Remains and Cornerstone Festival our last show. We want to thank all of the wonderful loving people we’ve met in the past few years for being there for us. It’s been an amazing run but we are done for personal reasons. No we don’t hate each other or want to punch each other in the face. It’s just time for us to move on to different things in our lives. Please come see us on our headlining tour and help us go out with a bang! We are extremely excited to see what the future holds for each and every one of us. So keep your eyes and ears open and God Bless!!!!!!

Much Love, TJ, Bone, Mike, Jordan, Steve, and Ben"

What a bummer for myself and other Still Remains fans across the world!  But all good things must come to an end at one point or another.  This one just happened to be faster than what we expected/anticipated.  but not all is lost.  A few years later down the road we see a glimmer of hope from the SR camp.

"Maybe we shouldn’t have called it a break-up. Maybe we needed a few years to purge the strain of having six or seven full-time roommates living in a van, and get back to having fun. When Haste The Day asked us to come back for one show none of us immediately said yes. Obviously, we eventually did. Getting together and playing those songs again in a tiny little corner-room in Mike’s basement had a bigger effect than we expected. We want more…

We are not aspiring to get back to the same type of touring schedule that we had to walk away from. We all have other priorities and many of us are invested in other musical projects, but we know Still Remains has chemistry and musicianship that is not easy to come by.

New tunes are in the works and we’ve booked a hometown show in Grand Rapids. We are looking forward to rocking together again."

One thing came to mind...

SWEET!

So here is what the 2011 edition of Still Remains looks like...


(In no particular order)

Zachary Roth - Keyboards, Synthesizers | Mike Church - Guitar | Jordan Whelan - Guitar
Kenny Polidan – Bass | T.J. Miller - Vocals | A.J. Barrette - Drums

So keeping with that momentum, the group compiled 12 blistering tracks that would eventually become "Ceasing To Breathe".  With the album only been released on December 17th, 2013, the social media and work of mouth is taking off quite smooth for the guys.  The album is solid, hard-hitting, and full of energy that has been built up since their hiatus announcement.

"Who hasn't heard this? If you have, what do you think? It might be the heaviest song from our new record, coming out Dec 17th. We'll be releasing another song in about a week and a half as well, so keep your eyes peeled for some big time riffs. In the mean time, keep jamming 'Close to the Grave'." -Still Remains

Here is one of my favourite tracks (and lyric video) off the album titled "Closer To The Grave"...



"Ceasing To Breathe" will be released on December 17th, 2013 via successful crowd-funding campaign that was completed on April 21st, 2013.  The album was recorded in their hometown of Grand Rapids, MI and was produced by former It Dies Today guitarist Mike Hatalak.


1. Bare Your Teeth (featuring Dan Weyandt of Zao)
2. Crone
3. Beacon
4. Cain
5. Close to the Grave
6. A Way Out
7. Keeping Secrets
8. Ceasing to Breathe
9. F.F.I.
10. Hopeless
11. Reprise
12. Bitter Shroud Repentance

We are extremely thankful for all of you, as well as the patience and excitement that you have extended us for our new record. We are also very thankful because we couldn't have made this record without your generosity!! Ceasing to Breathe, Dec. 17!! -SR

So how much more information can you get about the band before resorting to Wikipedia?  Well, being that I am a fan of the band and wanted to know some more details, I decided to go straight to the source.  Vocalist T.J. Miller was gracious enough to fire some answers for a few additional questions I had about the album.  Enjoy!

AFGM: Was this the first time you worked with Kevin Moore on the album artwork?  Has he done any other work with SR with previous albums or merchandise?

TJ: Yes, this was the first time. Certainly not the last. We are very happy with all things design that he has done for us!

AFGM: "I’m not used to working with someone like Mike. He actually immersed himself into this record, and had a lot of input. Steve Evetts did as well, but obviously things this time were way more DIY with Mike."

Could you elaborate a little more what made it more DIY with Mike?

TJ: Mike's studio is a mobile studio. He literally packed the whole thing up, put it in his car, and drove it from Buffalo to Grand Rapids. Mics, interfaces, stands, computer, cables, etc.. We set up in Mike Church's house. AJ recorded drums in Mikes bedroom, and everything else was done in the basement. It didn't have this feel to it like "goin to the studio today to record" vibe. It was more like"going to mikes house to bro down with my friends and make some killer music". Very punk rock. Very real and the vibe was amazing. I think it helped to record in the same room where most of the songs came together and where we practice.



AFGM: I know everything comes with a price tag, but is SR considering a music video soon?  Any tracks in particular you would like to see made into a music video?

TJ: We have talked a little. We did a lyric video that you can watch for "Close To The Grave." It's basically a music video and it turned out perfect. We have a couple ideas swimming around about doing something else. Stay tuned.

AFGM: What is your favourite track on CTB? Any specific reason as to why?

TJ: I would say "A Way Out." I love the bridge. It's a very dynamic song. I like how melancholy it gets in the bridge. And the content of the lyrics is special to me.

AFGM: Does the album have an overall vibe that brings CTB full circle or does each track have a different story behind it?

TJ: Some songs have similar subject matter that is recurring.. Kind of like the past couple records. But not all of them.

AFGM: Where are you getting your inspiration for your lyrics?  What are you trying to get across to your listeners?  I see from previous interviews you are drawing influences from Final Fantasy to Game of Thrones.

TJ: I haven't finished the GOT song yet, but I hope to. I write about anything that makes me feel different outside of the everyday going to work life. Weather it's my love for my family or irritation with certain things. But it has to resonate deep. Faith always plays a part in one way or the other. But sometimes I write about things that really piss me off.


AFGM: First off, being that I am from Toronto, it took a lot for myself not to drive to Indianapolis to see Haste The Days' final show knowing you guys were on the bill.  What made everyone decide to get back together and do the reunion show?

TJ: I think it was part curiosity, part desire to perform. It's always a huge rush to get on stage with these guys.

AFGM: I see a lot of interaction from the band on their social media pages.  Do you guys find that the close attention to comments pays off for gaining new fans (and re-kindling old ones)?

TJ: Well, we don't really have the resources that we want to get the word out there more and gain more fans. It's more about taking care of the fans we currently have and hoping that through making good music for them, and being as responsive as we can, that our music and reputation will spread by word of mouth. Unfortunately we are no longer living in a world where the music speaks for itself.

AFGM: I rather enjoyed the piece I read that states "I really value owning a bands piece of art that I love".

Because [frankly] it is art and it should hold some value to it (aka someone putting work and dedication into it).  It's just refreshing to hear that some artists can still refer to it as art.

TJ: Yea, you would be surprised at how much time and effort goes into things outside the songs themselves. Making the art for the record was a lot of fun. We all got to jump in a pool with our clothes on, and the rest was done in Lake Michigan. I wore a wet suit all day and got to swim in the middle of October. You'd think it was cold, but the wet suit helped a ton. It was a lot of fun! But it all took a lot of planning and creativity.

AFGM: "I think that although we aren’t reinventing the wheel or anything, this album has been very organic."

What was the last band/album you heard that reinvented the wheel?

TJ: That's a tough question. especially as far as music goes. Live, NIN constantly does that. But music wise, I would say that Gojira was a band that really took things to a new level in the genre.



AFGM: Being that you did such a great job with covering "Head Like A Hole" by NIN, is there any other bands or songs on the horizon for a cover?

TJ: There are a few songs that we've talked about covering recently, but I don't feel as though now is the time because the band is getting back I writing mode. Padge from BFMV recorded a solo for F.F.I. but we didn't get it till late, so maybe he will be on the next one. I'd love to keep having Dan back too, if he is able.

AFGM: Are you going to use crowd funding once more for the upcoming EP you announced?

TJ: I'm not sure, most likely not on the next one, but I think we will try and have some special pre-order packages available for our hardcore fans.

AFGM: I recall my first and only experience with you guys was your 2007 tour alongside Aiden and Drop Dead Gorgeous when you guys hit up the Opera House in Toronto (Sept. 22nd, 2007).  Don't want to raise hopes for any readers here but do you see the possibility of SR making their way north of the 49th north parallel for some regional shows?

TJ: Although we are unable to tour, I'd say anything is possible. We entertain every offer we receive.



AFGM recommended tracks are:

"Bare Your Teeth" | "Beacon" | "Close to the Grave" | "F.F.I."

No comments:

Post a Comment