Thursday, June 7, 2012

How NOT To Guilt Trip Me Into Buying An Album



I agree to an extent. I believe that with the ongoing transition of the music industry and various ways to access music, it is not 100% needed to purchase a physical CD. 



I think what she was getting at was: if you PURCHASE the record, either physically or digitally, the numbers will reflect to the labels and thus will get you on tours (correct me if I am going off track).  But on the other hand, as a music enthusiast, I am looking at the math here for purchasing everything bands and label want you to buy.  It starts to add up, and that's even just one band!


I'm just thinking from a perspective of a person who listens to 500+ bands and expects to pay for every single album that comes out.

Going to attempt some math here...

- $10 x 500+ band I keep current on = $5000


- $5000 + every other album that band releases (which can be anywhere between 1, 2, 16+ albums).  


- Then, depending on what label they are on, can charge in excess of $30 (Yes, I have paid that much for an album), especially if it's an import.

- Now if buying the album isn't enough, we have to now drop $ on the swag (pins, buttons, shirts, shorts, posters, etc).

- But were not done, let's take into consideration the tours that bands/labels want you to come to which can run anywhere between $20-$100


Where does the line end where you are truly a fan and giving 110% to the band you like/love?  Trolling answer... "Don't listen to that many bands". haha

I know this is an ongoing debate, but I think you SHOULD show some financial support (however that be) to your favourite artists no doubt. That way you are showing them that you want them to tour, make albums, and just basically be a band.

I don't endorse downloading through AFGM by any means (unless their label offers it for such), but on the other hand, how much money do artists expect to get from us? At someone who works a day job, much like most artists (sometimes only minimum wage), there is only so much money to go around. Would you rather me not listen to your band at all and be forgotten or do you offer samples/EPs/free LPs and make the coin from touring, merch, and other various ways?


Hmmmm..........anyone care to comment?  Am I in the wrong here?  I have a feeling my comments are going to piss some musicians off. haha

No comments:

Post a Comment